My research focuses on analytical models for healthcare operations problems. The theme of my dissertation is healthcare appointment scheduling.
The first contribution addresses capacity planning for healthcare clinics via a stochastic optimization approach that utilizes predictive algorithm to continuously estimate future demand. In the second contribution, we develop an adaptive appointment scheduling model for a primary care setting that incorporates patient centered medical home (PCMH) principles. We propose a simulation optimization approach to sequentially schedule appointments to provide desirable schedules from the perspective of both patients and the medical practice. In the third contribution, we investigate methods to manage disruptions in an appointment scheduling context. In support of this research agenda, we are partnering with the University Medical Center at UA to develop a pilot program to test our healthcare appointment scheduling methodologies.
- Dogru, A.K. and S. Melouk. 2016. Adaptive Appointment Scheduling for Patient Centered Medical Homes. Target Journal: Production and Operations Management. Status: complete manuscript.
- Dogru, A.K. and S. Melouk. 2016. Patient Centered Capacity Planning. Target Journal: Omega. Status: under development.
- Dogru, A.K. and S. Melouk. 2016. Healthcare Appointment Management under Uncertainty. Target Journal: European Journal of Operational Research. Status: under development.
- Dogru, A.K. 2010. Outsourcing, Managing, Supervising, and Regulating Private Military Companies in Contingency Operations. Masters Thesis, Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, California (Co-advisers: Dr. Thomas Bruneau and Dr. Ear Sophal).
- Dogru, A.K. and S. Melouk. 2016. Adaptive Appointment Scheduling for Patient Centered Medical Homes. Production and Operations Management Annual Conference, Orlando, FL, May 6-9.
- Dogru, A.K. and S. Melouk. 2015. An Online Appointment Scheduling Model. INFORMS Annual Conference, Philadelphia, PA, November 1-4.
- Dogru, A.K. and S. Melouk. 2015. An Online Appointment Scheduling Model (poster). INFORMS Healthcare Conference, Nashville, TN, July 29-31.